Monday, February 20, 2012

foodie

| |
Though it's not equally represented on this blog, in addition to loving fashion, thrifting, homewares, photography and design, I am a total (though I hate the word) foodie. There's a part of me that cannot (and most times, will not) go to the same bar or restaurant twice because I just know that there are so many great places I left left on my list to try! There are new places opening up all the time, and getting great reviews too. The Minneapolis/St Paul restaurant scene really is booming, if you can believe such a thing in this dreadful economy.

I have been dreaming (no really, in my actual dreams too) of the day when the empty building on 26th and Nicollet was going to finally replace Thom Pham's AZIA with some new places to wine and dine. Every day I drive by there on my way home from work, and I cant even tell you the amount of gossip I've shared about the topic with Heavy Table, my coworkers and the owners of nearby restaurants Jasmine Deli and The Bad Waitress.

Calamari with spicy Harissa dressing!

Finally, Eat Street Social (owned by the same peeps as Northeast Social) announced their opening night, and my good friend Ben (also a foodie) and I decided we had to check it out! I dont have very good pictures of the experience (I rarely do when it comes to food!), but suffice it to say, it was wonderful. And it was so heart-warming to see the place packed, on opening night, with photographers taking peoples pictures, and everyone seeming so jazzed that this place is finally here. Every hour, the bartenders rang a large bell and cheersed everyone! It was so festive, and it goes perfectly with the "social house" aspect. It is definitely going to be the new meeting place in the Whittier area after a show at CTC, an opening at the MIA or after class at MCAD.

They give you the extra drink from the shaker in a little caraffe! This was an egg creme of some sort.


There is a really great in-depth description and review by DeRusha here (glowing, in fact). Go there and read all about it. It also talks about Pat's Tap and the virtues of great neighborhood pubs, newly opened in South Minneapolis, which I also really loved (they have skee-ball!).

In addition to Eat Street Social, a Dunn Brothers + Provisions opened this summer in the anemone sushi space, and just the other day, I saw them installing a mysterious new bright orange AZIA Market Restaurant + Bar sign in the old AZIA space on the corner. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! AND WHEN WILL IT BE HERE??

Stay Tuned.
 
Instagram VSCO Pinterest Twitter Flickr Follow me on Bloglovin