Thursday, July 9, 2009

some recent thrift finds

| |
And when I say recent I mean not very recent, but things that I've been collecting for awhile and meaning to post about on the blog. I LOVE to thrift and bargain shop, and have always wanted to make that a major focus for dotluv, but feel like I've been lacking in that department! So here are some things that have recently made it into my wardrobe in some way or another.


There are two in this picture! The shorts are 'Republic Denim' and I can't tell if that means they're related to Rock and Republic, or just a coincidence, but I LOVE the carpenter's hook and the deep slit pockets on these shorts, not to mention the unique blue/grey wash denim and high waist! They were $6 at Savers. The platform wedge sandals are also thrifted (I guess) from Opitz Outlet for $10! They sell really cheap designer shoes, like these MICHAEL KORS, for cheap due to wear, damage or overstock. And I had been coveting Michael Kors' shoes for so long, but had never found a pair I could afford... check.


Both the floral vest and jeans in this one were thrifted from Savers. The vest was .99 cents, and so even though it is pretty 80's, I thought I'd give it a go. I really like the light cotton/rayon feel to it, and want to try more color in my wardrobe for summer (which so fa, I have not been succeeding at...). The jeans are vintage, probably from the 70's. Originally I got them to cut off into the perfect dark high-waisted cut=offs. But after I brought them home, I thought that maybe I shouldn't tamper with them. They are pretty awesome jeans as is... I don't know, what do you guys think??


I'll probably wait until the fall to wear this one. Plaid, and all... It was a really long dated maxi dress, but I cut it off and still need to hem it. I just love the little belt detail on the front! Also, do any of you out there know how I might wear this dress so that its not so 'school-girl?' I guess the grown-up heels help, but I'd like a few tips on how to wear it in the future.


I got these vintage red sandals on a two-for one shoe sale at Savers recently. They're definitely genuine red leather, there's an italian made marking on the bottom with the european size 38. However they are very old, probably from the sixties, and I feel like the inside synthetic-type insole (?) may soon begin to fall apart under my sweaty summer feet! But they were worth a try for free! I can't wait to wear them with some cute vintage dress, possibly to a friends' BBQ this weekend (hi boys)!!!


Last but not least (in fact, this may be my favorite piece in a long time!), I found this vintage 50's housecoat or jacket on the vintage rack at Savers. I AM SO IN LOVE with this gorgeous red cotton print! And the short cuffed sleeves, so indicative of the 50's! There are also adorable detailed gold buttons down the front. I didn't know what exactly I was going to do with it/wear it with, but now I think that I can button it all up and wear it as a dress! Or maybe as a jacket in the fall over a complete outfit, we'll see...

I have a busy weekend ahead of me. Tonight is my only night off, but on Friday we take the SES-ers to Uptown which is always my favorite outing, however fast it goes by! We staff usually do a little shopping on our own, or duck into The Uptown Bar for some cheap fried eats while we watch the kids walk around Calhoun Square ogling their new finds. It's very relaxing after a week of work. Then on Saturday, some friends are having a BBQ/housewarming party at their new place (it CAME WITH a picnic table out back!). Some out of town friends will also be there, making it a sort of reunion!

Then on Sunday, Alex and I plan to attend Bastille Day at Barbette. They host an annual "block party" for the occasion with good local food, beer, a street bazaar and live local music! Very home-grown and lots of hipsters, but we went last year and had a lot of fun. AND I was also photographed by Ellen at the Minneapoline for Vita.mn! Lots in store for me, so I'm not sure how much blogging I'll be able to do, honestly. But I'll at least try to get outfit pictures!

Peace out /// a
 
Instagram VSCO Pinterest Twitter Flickr Follow me on Bloglovin